Monday, May 30, 2011

Normalization and How to Know When You Are Done…

I enjoyed reading Louis Davidson article on normalization over at SQLBlog.com. Nothing really new for me there but it got me thinking about my own learning process. I'm reposting my comments here:

An excellent introduction though nothing beats examples for teaching. It would be valuable to show a poorly designed database, show why it's poor and show how to correct it.

The light bulb moment is an amazing thing too. Everyone (who's successful) has one. It's fun to think about how the brain works and why these sudden leaps of comprehension take place.

Most of my work now is with data warehouses so I do the opposite -- denormalization. As I was learning and implementing the denormalization process, it was interesting how much my understanding of normalization practices increased. I had to do things counter to my instincts and I made some mistakes along the way. This forced me to think more specifically about the decisions I was making while putting data into a star and, in contrast, I better understood the normalization process.

A couple years back, I was asked to handle the database design and implementation for a small IT-internal project used to track something (can't actually remember what for). I worked with a co-worker to flesh out the requirements. He would be designing the website and his first ideas about the database was to have just a couple of Big Tables and handle all of the record management in code. (As an aside, I see this tendency among a lot of decent programmers - mostly because they never learned better ways.) I steered him away from that and started breaking things up. He agreed we'd handle CRUD operations through sprocs and views allowing him to focus on the function of the website instead of wrangling data.

I made the mistake of letting him talk me into leaving one table less normalized than my gut was telling me since it only served a small piece of the solution and normalization ended up adding a few xref tables that he felt made things too complex. As I started writing insert and update sprocs for the subsystem, I saw it turning into an awful, broken mess requiring far more effort to manage than if it had been normalized. I jumped on correcting it right away despite his protests (though he trusted me enough not to protest too much). That taught me to rely on my instincts but it also made me understand the mindset of people who haven't learned to normalize. I think they are afraid of the perceived complexity behind it when the fact is, proper normalization makes the pieces of a project work together more cleanly and removes a great deal of complexity in the use and function of the database. This is especially true when you encapsulate tasks in sprocs (like p_AddUser or p_RemoveItem).


No comments:

Post a Comment